My wife's grandmother was Maria Trinidad Mello, born 21 Apr 1877 in Villa
Franca.  She lived in nearby Ponta Garca in 1921.  She had emigrated to
East Providence, RI in 1910, but returned to Sao Miguel and remained there
during WWI with her youngest children while her husband remained in East
Providence with the older ones.  Trinidad later immigrated permanently to
East Providence, RI in 1925.  I have seen her baptism record as well as
those of nine of her siblings.  They were children of Maximilian Jose Mello
and Maria Josephine Mello (Mello was both her birth name and her married
name.  Every one of the baptism records indicates the parents of
Maximillian as "unknown" but those of Maria Josephine Mello as Joao Jacinto
de Mello and Anna Felisberta.  Maria Josephine Mello was born 27 Sep 1841
and resided in Ponta Garca in 1924.  I am hoping someone might have
information about Joao Jacinto de Mello or his wife Anna Felisberta.  There
was clearly more than one Joao Jacinto de Mello as I have seen reference to
one a generation or so older, but the one in my wife's line would have been
likely born in the range of 1800-1820.  Also, has anyone encountered a
Maximilian Mello?  It is interesting to me that the given name "Maximilian"
does not appear in baptism records of Ponta Garca for any child or father,
other than this particular Maximilian Mello.