Hi all, I've read online a bit about Portuguese naming practices. One
article about the subject mentioned "Foreign names" used in Portuguese
family names, and mentioned for example Bettencourt and it also Avila
(citing it as being of Spanish origin). The article also mentioned that
surnames could come from either parent or grandparent for that matter, but
no further removed. My great great grandfather was Manuel Jacinto Avila,
his father, was Domingos Antonio ( according to church records for my great
grandfather Manuel Jacinto's birth, so I imagine the name came from his
mother, or a grandparent). I cannot find birth records in Azores for Manuel
Jacinto Avila or Domingos Antonio. I'm thinking that could be because they
migrated from Spain. Can anyone suggest how I could establish if that was
true?

This is a great discussion group and I have displayed my ignorance in
family research in the past, but everyone has been very forgiving and most
helpful, especially Cheri and I thank you all.

Warm regards
Michael