Hi Cheri,
Thank you for the quick reply.  I will look through the link of things to
do that you have provided.

   - My immigrant ancestors are my great grandparents.  My grandfather's
   generation were all born in Hawaii.
   - That is interesting to hear that my great grandmother's last name
   (Rivera) is Spanish.  I do not know if it was spelled Ribeira prior to
   leaving Sao Miguel, but in her obituary it was listed as Rivera.
   - That brings me back to my great grandfather's surname DePonte (which
   you verified Ponte to be Portuguese), and whether or not that was the
   original spelling or not.

Thanks for your help !
John DePonte