On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:07:32 AM UTC-7, Mickey Blue wrote:

> Hi All, can anyone direct me to book(s) or information, hopefully
> translated into English, which describe social customs and life in general
> on Pico in 1825/35 when my Great grandfather Manuel Jacinto was born and
> left Pico? Were children of that era literate? Was school available to all?
> What work was expected of children under 10 years of age? Why would a ten
> year old leave home? Are there shipping records to Trinidad or Madeira (he
> possibly went to Madeira first).

Hi Mike,

Some books that might be helpful to you:

Stormy Isles
<https://openlibrary.org/books/OL22499195M/STORMY_ISLES_AN_AZOREAN_TALE_-(EURO_15.66)>

(aka Mal Tempo no Canal) by Vitorino Nemésio - the classic Azorean epic
novel set in 19th century Faial (just across the channel from Pico); I
honestly found it a bit tedious, but there is a lot of detail about the
culture of that era.

Dark Stones
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Stones-Dias-Melo/dp/0943722055/ref=sr_1_16/259-2966987-3138415?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1522334004&sr=1-16&refinements=p_27%3ADias+de+Melo>

by Jose Dias de Melo - good short novel about growing up on Pico.

Home Is an Island
<http://www.portstudies.umassd.edu/pas/home_in_an_island.htm> by Alfred
Lewis - novel about growing up on Flores in the early 20th century and
emigrating to California.

Azoreans to California
<http://library.csustan.edu/sites/default/files/Bob_Santos-Azoreans_to_California.pdf>

by Robert Santos is a good history of Azorean emigration, and has pertinent
info about the conditions that caused people to leave in the 19th century.

A lot of 19th century Azoreans - not just children - were illiterate.
People were very poor and education was a luxury, and this lasted well into
the 20th century. (The fascist dictator Salazar actively encouraged the
myth of the "happy, noble/ignorant peasants" who were too simple to ask
annoying political questions; his regime ruled until 1974.) Children were
often put to work at an early age, farming or as shepherds, and in the
whale processing plants, and when they were old enough they also went out
on the shore-whaling boats. Many people had large families and could not
afford to feed their kids, and boys who were old enough were often sent off
on foreign whaling ships by their parents, or they left on their own. This
was often done secretly at night, because there were military patrols
watching for draft-age stowaways leaving illegally; there was mandatory
military service for boys 14 and older - another incentive for taking off
on a whaler.

Hope there's something helpful in there for you.

Steve