Consular records are indeed available but where they're located and the dates
varies...widely.

New Bedford (and *only* New Bedford) records, pre-1960s, are for the most part
at the New Bedford Whaling Museum

The national archives (in Portugal) holds some of the very early US
consular/embassy records

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Portugal) has its own archive and holds a
wide variety of consular records (none are available online)

The official protocol is that when the consular office wants to dispose of
records (often because of a lack of space) they are to microfilm them and keep
them onsite (the originals may or may not be sent to Portugal), but I know for
a fact this protocol hasn't always been followed in the US

The other thing to remember is that the consulate would only have records
pertaining to the folks who actually *registered* with them: while they were
obligated to do by Portuguese law, there were way more folks who didn't, then
those who did.

Sonia