Luiza,
You need to go to the Biblioteca e Arquivo in Ponta Delgada. You need to
have dates before 1915 and a specific freguesia (village) in order to
request records. Records before 1905 are online. I understand that the
Ponta Delgada arquivo won't want you to look at the books before 1905. They
want you to look online.

I hope to be there by noon tomorrow, but there's no guarantee. I don't
think I can sleep in this place. There's no window or air in here. So I may
not make it and might have to spend the day trying to find another place to
stay.
Cheri