Endogamy isn't as simple as "cousins marrying." Many people completely
misunderstand that explanation. They find that their John Smith marries his
first cousin, Jane Jones, and they state "I have endogamy in my tree!" Uh,
no they don't. They have a cousin marriage. Those of us who come from truly
endogamous populations have to keep explaining this over and over. Endogamy
is when a person has MANY ancestors marrying cousins, causing one to be
related to various cousins in multiple ways.

Any good, fully-featured genealogy program would show this for endogamy:
[image: image.png]

That's just ONE cousin example. I could pick another cousin (not the
pick another cousin and get something similar. A cousin marriage would have
just shown the 4C1R and clicking the Progenitors button to locate the
couple in my program would show they are first cousins. So I now state that
it's being related to "multiple people in multiple ways." It seems to be a
thing in genealogy now where people want to be something else. Many
Americans try to claim Cherokee (as if there is no other tribe in America).
And now with DNA, people are trying to claim endogamy. When Kalani Mondoy,
the Hawaiian Polynesian DNA Admin, and I go to DNA meetings or man DNA
education tables, we generally have to go over the difference between a
"cousin marriage" and what really is endogamy. We wish people would quit
using "cousin marriage" as the definition for endogamy. It's not a cousin
marriage.

As I mentioned, "robust tree" is how genetic genealogists refer to
researching their family genealogy. It's the collateral lines and bringing
them FORWARD. When I first got into genealogy in the early 90s, I took a
class. We were taught that proper genealogy was to research your ancestral
couple (name, date, place and birth, marriage, death), get ALL their kids
(same pieces of information), and then get ALL the grandkids (same pieces
of information). So basically come forward to the 1st cousin level from an
ancestral couple. With DNA connecting us to more of our 2nd, 3rd, and
beyond cousins, we are having to bring our trees a little further forward
in time, trying to collect the great and even 2 greats of our ancestral
couple. Coming forward in time with as many lines as you can is a robust
tree. It's not the number lines or the amount of people. It's bringing as
many of your lines forward in time as you can.

Pedigree collapse is when you find you don't have to research a particular
line because you have already researched it because it's being repeated due
to cousins marrying. So you don't need to research it back in time. It's
already done. Pedigree collapse is researching BACKWARDS. You're kinda
morphing pedigree collapse into robust tree and confusing the terms :)
Time to start a new thread! This one is completely off topic!
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada