There are no major natural disasters listed here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_disasters_in_the_Azores

So, I'm with Cheri and am putting my money on an epidemic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseases_and_epidemics_of_the_19th_century

A long while back, I read a 19th century travelogue that described the
writer's ship's passengers as not being allowed to disembark at one of the
Islands either 1) until the ship was cleared as being free of epidemic
disease, or 2) not being allowed to disembark at all because the ship had
come from a port where an epidemic had been occurring.  Sorry my
recollection is vague and I don't recall the source. My point is, I
suppose, that epidemics were so much a part of life that there was a
bureaucracy in place to deal with them.