Mike,

Hello,

My Grandfather was born in Flamengos, Ilha Faial (Fayal) in 1888

His Father (my GGrandfather) Victorino lived out his life in Chao Frio, Praia
Do Almoxarife

It's was a "must go to" place since learning I was 1/2 Azorean at the young age
of 64!

My father passed when I was 13 and my grandfather passed when I was 15

When I used to  ask my grandfather where he learned to tend small animals and a
beautiful garden
of vegetables the only thing my grandfather would say was "Old Country" !!

I think since he was never able to return to his homeland was a torment for him
in some ways.

We have traveled to Azores 3 times so far, we have been on 6 of the nine
islands.

Not just because Faial is my root island ... but it is by far my favorite,
 I have over 900 cousins according to many of the ones I have met and hugged.

I live in the coastal mountains in El Salvador, Central America so it's not
just a hop skip and
a jump to get to the islands. But well worth it!!!

We always took the Boston to Sao Miguel Island to get there.

Before discovering my ancestors actual birthplace we drove most of Portugal on
the continent
in 2007 without any knowledge or this email list etc
I drove to every city whose name was that of what I had recalled as child ie
Serpa, Moura etc.
I guess I thought I would see a sigh saying "Greg's grandpa was born born here"
Happy trails!

Greg Dias