Hi Marcia G,

Several islands have an Ribeirinha.

Maybe you missed my earlier message. The documents would say if the person
was a "new Christian" or not. It sounds like you need the help of a
researcher that you can hire.
http://www.worldgenweb.org/azrwgw/researchers-available-for.html

John Raposo, on the above list, has written about the inquisition for
genealogy and historical societies. I'm sure all of them are able to
research that time period.

Good luck!
Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada