Hi group!

For this marriage of Joaquim Machado de Lemos and Maria da Luz. It states
that the bride's profession was that of a "mestra of children or just
girls" I can't tell if it's an "as" or "os" for menin_ _.

Does anyone have any knowledge about professions in the 1800's? How much
schooling would have been acquired at that time to be a mestra? I'm
assuming mestra means teacher.

This is the first profession I have found for a bride, other than
"domestica" or "costureira" so I am quite intrigued.

Thank you,

Jessica

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-TERRACHA-C-1870-1879/TER-AH-TERRACHA-C-1870-1879_item1/P77.html