Just yesterday I had a brief talk with Herbert from vserver. He mentioned that it should be ok to use different routing tables in each vserver instance. If this works out then I would like to know if vserver is a viable alternative. Vserver is very low overhead. One of the problems that I had with UML is the high (soft-)IRQ load. this produces permanent context switches and no work gets done. (if you start 1000 instances that is!) :)

Can somebody test what happens if you start many instances in openVZ and vserver?
I hope our dev server is up and living soon again.

best,
a.