On 2010-09-29 12:28, Marek Lindner wrote:
On Tuesday 28 September 2010 21:08:53 Magosányi Árpád wrote:
But with three nodes in a linear topology user-A-B-C, the reject
firewall chain (basically the FORWARD chain) eats up the packets user->A
This is the same rule which rejects batman packets A->C which go through
B, and there are the gate interface which I do not understand, so while
the following rules seem to solve the problem at least for three nodes,
I have a feeling that I am not on the right path, and maybe on a way to
cause packet storms.
iptables -A forwarding_rule -d 10.42.0.0/24 ! -s 10.42.0.0/24 -i ath0 -o
ath0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -s 10.42.0.0/24 ! -d 10.42.0.0/24 -o ath0 -i
ath0 -j ACCEPT
Could you explain what kind of traffic you actually want to block ? I also don't
understand what packet storm you are afraid of.

I actually want to _enable_ traffic. Any traffic from any node in the mesh.
Regarding packet storm: I thought that the reject in the default iptables config might be there to stop propagation of some packets which would otherwise propagate and thus multiply in multiple routes. I am seeing batman packets rejected there. As you can see, working of batmand is somewhat a black magic for me, esp. wrt. the role of the gate interface. From the fact that I had to touch the default firewall config to make it work has suggested that I either do some nonstandard thing, or I am doing it in the wrong way. This is why I try to figure out whether my config is sound enough before I give it to my village (some 8 thousand people).