Hi,

> I have been playing with batman-adv on the Mesh-Potato, and I will come up
> with a batman-adv based version of the MP firmware.

cool!

> However I have seen interesting new challenges. For example, if the MPs
> just get their IP configuration from a DHCP server this eliminates the
> process of configuring an IP for each device. That is cool. On the other
> hand, not knowing which IP is assigned to which device introduces new
> problems. It makes debugging radio problems and hardware issues much
> harder in the field. So picking up a phone and punching in a static IP via
> the keypad for each device is not all bad, if you just want to be able to
> call one MP from the other by dialling the last octet of its IP.

I don't really understand where you see the "new" challenges. If you require
static IP addresses you can deal with that in the same way you did without
batman-adv. You could configure alias interfaces, calculate an IP out of the
MAC or even use DHCP to assign always the same IP address to a certain client.
How your setup looks like very much depends on your requirements.

> Is there a special way of handling IPv4 ARP packets in batman-adv? I figure
> ARP must be much more robust in a Layer 3 mesh.

There is no special handling yet (expect for the ARQ mechanism for all
broadcast packets). I also suspect that ARP requires some more attention but
nobody has done that so far.

Cheers,
Marek