On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Sven Eckelmann <s...@narfation.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 July 2012 11:41:15 Esteban Municio wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I`m working on a academic develop project for improve the networks in
>> rural areas in Peru. We are doing some test with 6 Nanostation M5 for
>> create a mesh network.
>>
>> I tried Commotion software with OLSR and all was Ok. Now, we are
>> testing BATMAN, with OpenWRT and batman-adv module, but I have some
>> problems.
>>
>> I have compiled OpenWrt Backfire r32751 (Load: 0.09 0.10 0.05) and
>> installed batman-adv with opkg following this
>> http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/mesh.batman
>
> Why are you installing it with opkg? This sounds a little bit like you try to
> load a kernel module that wasn't compiled for the kernel that is running on
> the machine (which would be extreme bad when there are ABI differences). Also
> this "pizza" link you showed at the bottom of the mail gives the impression
> that you may have done something like that.
>
> The best way is to include it in your image.
>
>> When I put:
>> lsmod | grep batman
>> I get
>> batman_adv             67936  0
>>
>> and seems to be load in the kernel
>>
>> But when I try to add the interface wlan0 for activate batman in it,
>> the Nanostation remains locked and i need to reboot.
>> I have tried this with:
>>
>> echo bat0 > /sys/class/net/wlan0/batman_adv/mesh_iface
>>
>> and
>>
>> batctl if add wlan0
>>
>> with the same bad result.
>> What am i doing wrong?
>
> Hard to tell with the information we got here. Are you using the serial
> console
> on your device? Does it print a backtrace (can you create a backtrace with
> symbol tables enabled)? Are you sure that the kernel and batman-adv module are
> 100% binary compatible? What version of batman-adv is it? Did you try the
> newest openwrt devel package from
>  http://downloads.open-mesh.org/svn/openwrt-feed/ (i think the package is
> called kmod-batman-adv-devel)?
>
> batctl: acd06db051419d3b323675ab2d7c897f2a5efc2a
> batman-adv: 3fdeaa6bfb404311b73a689e984672161403a0c2
>
> [...]
>> I have noticed that i have not the bat0 interface created,is it normal?
>> Do i need create another aditional interface like ath0?
>
> bat0 (or any other name you choose for your batman-adv device(s)) are created
> after you attach an interface to it (this is what you are doing when you say
> that your node "freezes").
>
>> I have been following that manuals:
>> http://pizza.hskflashcards.com/index.php?page=B.A.T.M.A.N.+Advanced+on+OpenW
>> rt+How-To
>
> Uh, please don't use this one. It is outdated as hell and has nearly nothing
> to do with the stuff you are using (or at least should use).
>
>> Do you recomend me to change to batmand instead?
>
> Just to give an impression:
>
> Latest release of batmand:

> [...]

Yep, now that everybody has confused the hell out of you,,, try
flashing the unit with
http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/atheros/openwrt-atheros-ubnt5-squashfs.bin

setup to get internet access. and  correct wireless settings
opkg update | opkg install kmod-batman-adv | enable with
/etc/init.d/batman-adv enable

edit /config/batman-adv to reflect wlan0

reboot Done | check with batctl o

Couldn't be simpler, no need to compile anything.

Wayne A