Simon Wunderlich <s...@simonwunderlich.de> schrieb am 12.02.2016 14:04:23:

> Von: Simon Wunderlich <s...@simonwunderlich.de>
> An: Andreas Pape <ap...@phoenixcontact.com>
> Kopie: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking
> <b.a.t.m.a.n@lists.open-mesh.org>
> Datum: 12.02.2016 14:04
> Betreff: Re: Antwort: Re: Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Antwort: Re: Looping
> unicast packets when using BLA
>
> Hi Andreas,

> > > That shouldn't be a problem on its own.
> >
> > I think I wasn't precise enough concerning this point. I meant the
effect,
> > that
> > a broadcast ARP coming from a common backbone reaches all gateways. If
now
> > accidentally
> > several gateways can already answer that request due to dat, then the
> > current code sends
> > an arp reply from each gateway being able to answer. This broadcast
does
> > not even reach
> > the mesh if all gateways can answer the request (as far as I have
> > understood the code).
> > Therefore broadcast handling in the mesh layer does not solve this
> > problem.
>
> Yes, we may have multiple gateways answering with an ARP reply. But how
is
> this a problem? It is redundant, yes, but its just a unicast sent back.
> don't see this a s problem yet ...

I would like to prevent duplicated packets as much as possible, even if
they are unicast packets normally harmlexs for typical PC hardware. But I
know of enough small embedded devices (sensors and stuff like that) which
don't like that.....

> > > Hm, I see. I just checked the code and it seems we fixed this issue
> > > for speedy
> > > join in the mean time (affecting TT), but for bla the problem is
still
> > > present.
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be sufficient to add something like a check for
backbones (
> > > batadv_bla_is_backbone_gw) into batadv_recv_unicast_packet() and
drop

> > packets
> >
> > > if they came from the same backbone?
> >
> > That's a good question. This is something I did not dare to do last
year
> > because
> > I cannot foresee possible negative implications. Perhaps someone more
> > experienced with
> > batman-adv routing should answer this. Therefore I focussed on fixing
this
> > for the DAT ARP handling only.
> > But doing so as you propose would most likely have the positive side
> > effect that I will get rid
> > of the looping unicast packets in my backbone network, too. But as
> > mentioned in my prior mail
> > I think this looping unicast packets might have another cause. The
> > question is: why does
> > a gateway forward a unicast packet received via the mesh with a
> > destination mac behind
> > an originator somewhere else in the mesh (that originator is not
connected
> > to the same backbone) to
> > its own backbone? If this only can happen if the entry in the global
tt
> > expires (like a mac adress
> > table expires in a switch and the switch starts broadcasting incoming
> > packets to all ports), then
> > I would think blocking all unicast traffic coming from another
backbone gw
> > of the same backbone network
> > is the smartest and easiest solution.
>
> Yeah, agreed. There shouldn't be any unicast messages to be sent among
> gateways through the mesh. We probably should not only avoid the
> receiving (as
> I suggested only), but also sending DAT requests to other gateways
> on the same
> backbone. The check should be similar and simple ... After all, if there
is
> another gateway capable of answering, it will also receive the request
and
> doesn't need it passed from somebody else on the same backbone.
>
> Regarding the TT question/expiration, as a receiver we don't check the
> destination address and just accept the packet for receiption. But as I
said,
> packets among gateways on the same backbone shouldn't be sent or
received.

> > > I have found your patch from last year. Would you like to
rebase/split

> > your
> >
> > > patch to address the remaining issues? That would help us a lot.
Please

> > also
> >
> > > put a proper patch message. I promise to be more responsive this
time.
> > :
> > :)
> >
> > I'm trying to split my last year's patch into logical seperate pieces,
> > update them
> > to be compliant to the latest master branch of the batman-adv.git
> > repositor and will
> > mail them for further discussion.
>
> Cool, thanks! I'm looking forward to it. :)

I've just sent the patches. They have the state of my "experiments" last
year. That means that your latest proposal is not integrated yet.
I quickly updated my devices in my test setup and it looks good (no
looping arp requests or multiple replies seen so far).

Regards,
Andreas

PHOENIX CONTACT ELECTRONICS GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft / registered office of the company: 31812 Bad Pyrmont
USt-Id-Nr.: DE811742156
Amtsgericht Hannover HRB 100528 / district court Hannover HRB 100528
Geschäftsführer / Executive Board: Roland Bent, Dr. Martin Heubeck
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail.
Das unerlaubte Kopieren, jegliche anderweitige Verwendung sowie die unbefugte
notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
copying, disclosure, distribution or other use of the material or parts thereof
is strictly forbidden.