On Dienstag, 23. Oktober 2018 10:22:29 CEST Corey Combs wrote:
> All, thank you for the replies yesterday.

Why did you start a new thread and why did you use such a non-specific
subject?

> Would you be able to offer
> some more insight into updating the 2 packages? I have had some
> successes, but not all the beagle bones have
> recognized the new version of batman-adv when I run batctl -v.
>
> The general method I've been using is the script here
> https://gist.github.com/marvin/186a609d1e88f7426747 with version 2016.4.

The script mentions 2014.3.0. Anyway, both versions have known problems. See
https://git.open-mesh.org/batman-adv.git/blob/HEAD:/CHANGELOG.rst

[..]
> I have also attempted to uninstall batctl and batman-adv with
> $ apt-get --purge remove batctl
>  and
> $ apt-get --purge remove batman-adv
> and reinstall using the script, but that hasn't worked across all devices.

Ok, I have no idea why it failed. Maybe because it wasn't successful? Or
because there was a problem? Or was there maybe an error? ;)

A little bit more serious: Any info what failed? Any build errors? What does
modinfo batman-adv say? Are there multiple batman-adv.ko in your
/lib/modules/... and the wrong one was loaded by modprobe? Does `depmod -a`
help (generates the module.dep again)?

> The laptop I have is running Debian 9.5 with batctl debian-2016.5-1
> [batman-adv 2016.4] and the Beagles are running Debian 7.9.  I would
> like to avoid reimaging the Beagles at this point in time.
> Please pardon my lack of knowledge on the topic, as I'm still
> relatively new to Linux and have been learning a great deal in the
> past few months.
> I greatly appreciate your help on the topic.

I don't want to crush your hopes but if you use broken components then you
will most likely end up with a broken finished product. And as I said earlier,
there are numerous known problems in the batman-adv versions which you've
mentioned earlier.

Kind regards,
        Sven