On Saturday, 8 September 2018 19:38:01 CET Sven Eckelmann wrote:
[... explanation why this test could create problems for other wifi
connections...]
> Is there anything which I missed that could ease my mind?

Beside this potential problem, there is also the problem of the interaction
with the ethtool throughput gathering (brought up by Matthias Schiffer [1]
and Matthias Fritzsche [2]). The ethtool code basically prevents the correct
measurement in many situations. I will try to summarize it now:

* ethtool's link_ksettings is not about speed towards a neighbor behind the
  interface but about either

  - PHY layer speed class from local ethernet port to next peer (for direct
    connections)
  - connection towards next (internal) switch
  - propagated value from a lower layer device (e.g for vxlan)
  - "random" value (e.g. tun/tap)
  - ...

* often connections indirect (switches, VPN, WiFi bridges, L2 firewalls, ...)
* B.A.T.M.A.N. V requires a measurement for the throughput towards a neighbor
  and not the maximum(?) PHY layer speed of the first hop over the current
  medium

The proposed solution is to drop the ethtool link_ksettings usage when the
tpmeter (or similar) approach for neighbor speed measurements is integrated.

Kind regards,
        Sven

[1] https://github.com/freifunk-gluon/gluon/pull/1872#issuecomment-55767698
[2] https://patchwork.open-mesh.org/patch/17371/#31059