I start running into trouble with 1000+ routes using 1Mbit mcast.
Sooner if I seriously
slam the network with flent or something else that abuses mcast like mdns. YMMV.
So what is the culprit here? What would it take to add an order of magnitude?

As for aggregation and filtering: Most of my Aps have at minimum,
ethernet, and two channels - usually four, including the meshy links.
The meshy links are ptp, so I've generally "wasted" an entire /22 ipv4
network to talk to the Aps. ipv6 /62s.

The lab component of my network, for example, has two main links to
the production net, and the gateways only announce the
subnet it is on (172.22.0.0/16). This cuts the churn seen outside the
network when I do crazy things like reboot the whole thing.

The biggest problem I've run into, is that meshy links, are, meshy -
and I've lost track of the number of times where
I had a well defined /16 network in the lab suddenly leak all the
meshy /32 bits over the worst possible link - because I plugged
something in that was adhoc (and poorly) connected to the outside
network that I shouldn't have.

Lede creates one /48 ULA by default per AP, and then more /60s. I've
had a tendency to try to share one /48, but more recently I was trying
to go native ipv6 and disabled the ULA generation entirely.

I don't bridge anything except sometimes on the last Aps on a link
(which don't announce babel on that bridge). Bridging can do weird
things to daemons that want also to be measuring the individual links.

So in your network design I'd try to identify your backbone links and
try upfront to rationally partition the network numbering scheme,
and still, periodically try to optimize it. It makes no sense to
export all the churn the last hop of a meshy, yet leaf network can
have to the whole network. I'd simulate what you plan, and then slam
it with traffic from every point with a tool like flent, and deploy
cake or htb+fq_codel on the ISP up/downlinks.
This being a Freifunk-Network, there is not going to be much planning of the structure beyond mere basics. Until now I just hoped we could get away with having 10K+ routes in one network which would translate into 3k+ clients when considering many nodes and 3 IPv6 addresses for each client which seems to be a reasonable amount when taking into account a clat-address per client and IPv6 privacy extensions. There are approaches to reduce the amount of routes per client including using nat66 on each node. You certainly are making it sound like there should be put some thought into reducing the amount of routes. This will be the next step after we have more than just a few nodes / clients inside the same network.

BTW: the Freifunk networks use an autoupdater. This might just solve your tree-climbing-problem in the long run...

Cheers
Christof

I'm working these days, on making netem better emulate wifi's
behaviors. I'm not satisified with it yet.

Note that babeld currently sends updates as a single burst when the upate
interval expires (the same is true of Toke's implementation of Babel, as
far as I'm aware).  For very large networks, it would be good to split
updates into one-packet pieces that are sent throughout the update
interval.  I'd be glad to accept a patch that does that.

* making babel trigger updates on newly appeared routes

I've gone through different approaches for scheduling updtes, and the
current master is more aggressive with scheduling updates.  I'd need to
check to make sure, but I believe it already does what you suggest.  If
you have time, could you please check if current master improves things;
if it doesn't, we need to work together to improve the implementation (no
protocol changes will be needed).

You could also try Toke's implementation, which is very well written.

* communicating the appearance of a route across the network outside
babel and inserting that at the gateway

I'm not sure what you mean.

What do you think about those approaches?

Please try current master.  If not, we'll need to think together about
redesigning our approach to sending triggered updates.

-- Juliusz

/\  against proprietary attachments