The site is delivered by a number of systems, but the majority of
content is delivered through a custom content management system (the
Content Production system CPS). It's a complex system.

The CPS runs on an Oracle Database and also produces the Sport site and
other sites like Newsbeat, foreign language sites and so on. There are
millions of text items across the BBC sites managed by the system.

Things like related links use the content production system - the
Journalist using the CPS will select the links most relevant and these
are then pulled in when published. Other elements pull in components and
references to SSIs. The CPS can pull in elements not built using the CPS
by referencing the SSIs or links to components it needs.

The majority of the system is built using Java with a .NET client used
by the Journalists. There are separate tools for building and managing
templates and applying these to specific pages or areas of the site.

Real time Sports results and other live data may come through systems
focussed on processing this data at high speed with no manual
intervention.

We are in the process of changing the way the CPS system publishes
content to produce cleaner XHTML and use CSS more substantially.

Hopefully this gives you a feel for the systems in place.

Cheers,

 ::: John O'Donovan
 ::: Chief Architect, BBC FM&T Journalism
 ::: BBC Broadcast Centre
 ::: 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS
 ::: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 ::: http://www.bbc.co.uk <http://www.bbc.co.uk/>