I wrote a script to read all available iplayer episodes into a database from
rss feeds. It has been running live on a server for a good 4 months or so
without any problems. If you wanted, I could either share the script with
you, or let you grab an xml feed of all episodes from my server. I could
even generate an xml document every 6 hours or so. That might be worthwhile.
Interestingly, at least for me, the reason I wrote the script was for the
exact same reason you outlined. For example, I add Jools Holland to the db
and I get an email when Jools is available. I always forget these things :)

rich