The idea of using the h2g2 data is pretty fascinating. Could it be combined with all the map work you're doing - so that articles, eg. about places in h2g2 could be displayed on the map?

Also the wiki idea (where bbc news articles are scanned and wikipedia links are added to the page) might also be cool in conjunction with h2g2?

Tom

Duncan Barclay wrote:

Hi,

Recently I have done a lot of stuff that involves merging BBC content with Google Maps, and I am sure most of you have seen them (http://backstage.min-data.co.uk if you haven't). However, I decided to take a brief break from that and do something different. The problem, however, was thinking of something different to do.

In my hunt for something else to do, I decided to look at the content that wasn't being widely used. Almost every project here evolves around different ways of displaying the news or transport data that is available. So I looked at the other data, in particular the h2g2 and Collective and wondered what could be done with them. The only thing I could think of that I could actually do was making it easier to display them on a website, so that is what I did, and you can see it at http://backstage.min-data.co.uk/jsrss .

BBC News already has something similar to this (and there are probably loads of other things out there too, but it didn't take long to make), however it is limited in that it only shows data from the news. Mine can cope with loads of different RSS feeds (even survives RSS 1.0 feeds). Full instructions on use are available at http://backstage.min-data.co.uk/jsrss . There is also a sample of it there, using the h2g2 latest article feed (which seems fairly slow for some reason). Any comments would be appreciated.

Back to the maps next I think :)

Duncan




Reply via email to