I would like to add:

Wiki should include a showcase section where people can showcase their
work (perhaps catagorised/tagsonomy'd?).

Backchannel/Discussion about the page is nice -- for me, the way
MediaWiki handles this is superb.  If I was going to build such a site
(and I'd love to, but perhaps a little odd considering I work on
backstage!) I would build it around MediaWiki.


Ben


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] 
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James
> Sent: 01 June 2005 15:50
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [backstage] Resources
> 
> 
> I would also add to this:
> 
> 1. A well structured table which references resources with simple 
> descriptions and an off shoot to wiki pages which an be used 
> to describe 
> and further explain information within this "resource"  Im not overly 
> keen on wading through a lot of content to find the resource, I would 
> prefer to search for the resource and then get wiki with it :)
> 
> 2. Allow for user contributed wiki pages which describe how to do 
> certain things.  There have been numerous posts on ways to obtain and 
> use RSS content. 
> 
> 3. The main thing for me is allowing the user to freely contribute 
> without going through hurdles to do so.
> 
> I would also like to reinforce matts point about other api's 
> etc.  Good 
> external referencing to good articles relating to 
> technologies such as 
> XSL, XPATH, XQUERY are important.  These technologies are begining to 
> become mainstream and they should be encouraged within this 
> development 
> area, especially because of the main medium which a lot of 
> the content 
> is being put out in (XML).  They are naturally paired 
> technologies and 
> butchering XML to work with Smarty or TTK is a shame.
> 
> Matthew Hurst wrote:
> 
> >Here is a stick in the sand as to what we want to the wiki 
> to contain:
> >
> >A resource for aggregating and describing online structured and 
> >semistructured content - especially that which is freely 
> available for 
> >research/prototype purposes. Specifically, this wiki will contain 
> >information about two types of computer readable data - that 
> which is 
> >continuously updated (e.g. rss feeds, traffic data, etc.), and that 
> >which is static (e.g. geographic databases). In addition, 
> the wiki will 
> >be a repository for information about apis and other 
> applications which 
> >may be used with this type of data (e.g. google maps).
> >
> >Please feel free to mod as appropriate - this is just to ge the ball 
> >rolling as to what we want in this resource.
> >
> >MattH
> >
> >On 6/1/05, Duncan Barclay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>Wikicities might be good, but there are some things that I 
> don't like 
> >>about it, such as the adverts at the side and adverts for 
> wikicities 
> >>all over the place.  I also feel that there should be slightly more 
> >>control over a wiki than there would be there (eg, the 
> ability to edit 
> >>the database if it goes completely out of hand, and also to back up 
> >>the database).
> >>
> >>I am fairly sure there have been several people in the past 
> who have 
> >>said they would be willing to put a wiki up for it (or in 
> Jim's case, 
> >>an offer for funding/programming for it) and I would also 
> be willing 
> >>to, so if Ben can't get anything nice sorted out, I feel we 
> should go 
> >>for a wiki hosted by a user of this mailing list.  It may also help 
> >>the backstage.bbc.co.uk admin to persuade other people in 
> the BBC that 
> >>people here are serious about it.
> >>
> >>With regard to invading a wiki that already exists, there are 
> >>problems, such as finding another wiki and also the 
> possibility that 
> >>it wouldn't have the same aim as a dedicated wiki would.
> >>
> >>
> >>Duncan
> >>
> >>
> >>Matthew Hurst wrote:
> >>
> >>    
> >>
> >>>Jim,
> >>>
> >>>You make excellent points. I agree about the accountability issues 
> >>>and that the freedom of having it outside the bbc + the general 
> >>>interests/non backstage interests that come into play. So 
> yes, I now 
> >>>think my original suggestion was wrong - let's go for something 
> >>>external.
> >>>
> >>>However, I think that the backstage area could link to 
> whatever it is 
> >>>that we come up with - a single link to a central 
> resource. (All this 
> >>>assuming that the backstage people don't come back with an answer 
> >>>that allows the beeb to host it in some legally sandboxed manner).
> >>>
> >>>Does anyone know about wikicities? That could be a 
> candidate location 
> >>>- have a look. The more I look at it, the more I think 
> this might be 
> >>>the place to go...
> >>>
> >>>http://www.wikicities.org
> >>>
> >>>Matt
> >>>
> >>>On 6/1/05, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>      
> >>>
> >>>>I think this is a big issue though.  The BBC is well known for 
> >>>>having strict controls on content, linking to other sites 
> etc, even 
> >>>>so far as message board posts having to be verified.  The 
> idea of a 
> >>>>wiki is great but before the backstage crew implements we should 
> >>>>know the rules first.  What we dont want it an official 
> one and user 
> >>>>based one which forks off because of the limitations on 
> the official 
> >>>>one.
> >>>>
> >>>>Personally, I feel what the BBC is doing is excellent 
> however I am 
> >>>>hestitant to see a resource catalogue become a BBC thing 
> exclusively 
> >>>>when at the moment most of the prototypes are using 
> multiple sources 
> >>>>for data and technology.  IF the BBC host it will have 
> to, in some 
> >>>>way, be accountable for the links and I dont think they 
> will be able 
> >>>>to link to content they know breaks there own terms and 
> conditions.  
> >>>>Any resource must be free of any issues about linking and content 
> >>>>otherwise it is already broken before is begins.
> >>>>
> >>>>The questions for me are:
> >>>>
> >>>>   1) Is there an exisiting developers area (wiki, web whatever) 
> >>>>which this kind of thing can be tacked onto - would it be 
> better to 
> >>>>contribute to an exsiting community rather than to start from 
> >>>>nothing?
> >>>>
> >>>>   2) Is this type of developing, specifically XML resources and 
> >>>>resource binding something which deserves a wider, non BBC tag? I 
> >>>>would be willing to donate some dosh and programming time 
> to setup a 
> >>>>host etc which a group of us could run.
> >>>>
> >>>>I hope this isnt taken in a negative stance!
> >>>>
> >>>>Jim.
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>Ben Metcalfe wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>        
> >>>>
> >>>>>>-----Original Message-----
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>            
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>>Such vandalism, as you can appreciate, is our biggest
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>              
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>concern on this
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>            
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>>front.  But will keep you all informed.
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>>              
> >>>>>>>
> >>>>>>I'm not sure vandalism should be *too* much of a 
> concern - wikis 
> >>>>>>are becoming the norm in developer communities.  For 
> example, see 
> >>>>>>the Java.net community wiki at:
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>            
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>Sorry, I should confirm: "our" as in 'the BBC'.  I 
> personally don't 
> >>>>>have any problem with hooking up a wiki - I'd love to 
> get a bit of 
> >>>>>mediawiki action on the backstage server!
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>          
> >>>>>
> >>>>>>My two cents is that the benefits of wikis in community building
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>>            
> >>>>>>
> >>>>>outweight the disadvantages.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Totally agree -- which is why I'm doing everything I can to get 
> >>>>>this agreed.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>Ben Metcalfe :: backstage.bbc.co.uk
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>>          
> >>>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>        
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>      
> >>>
> >>
> >>    
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >  
> >
> 
> 
> 


Reply via email to