backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk on 21 July 2005 at 21:52 +0000 wrote:
> it seems you have the same motivation as I had when I mailed this list
>about RSS Annotation Streams!

missed that - ah:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk/msg00330.html and
http://datamining.typepad.com/data_mining/2005/07/rss_annotation_.html

I agree with the sentiment, and then some - if someone goes to the trouble
of adding value to a story/feed, it would be good if those extras could be
syndicated separately but identifiably too without others having to
reinvent/reimplement the same technique/recreate the same annotation data.

>Perhaps this is format that we want to develop
>further?

That sounds like an interesting (and perhaps useful) exercise...where to
start? i tend to work back to generalised solutions from a couple of
similar but different implementations of a thing...would it be fair to say
that the annotation stream on its own would be relatively worthless
without the original story it was annotating? or could you imageine it
ever standing alone on its own terms?

Back to the geotagged BBC stories, even something as simple as returning
lat/long when passed a story ID would be v reusable...

For example:
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/prototypes/archives/2005/05/a_map_of_the_ne.html
 http://boneill.ninjagrapefruit.com/wp-content/bbc/newmaps/ divines geo
data

and  Duncan's http://backstage.min-data.co.uk/geotagged/  must have a
script for locating stories
So if someone can make story id/geotag info available, then I'm sure the
lazy community (of which I count myself a part) would be v grateful :-)

tony