Hi There

http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/ is indeed a great opportunity for all
programmers and enthusiasts. Thanks to everyone who keeps me updated,
with the latest. I'm trying to create a news ticker too which displays
all the news related to investment banking.

Something which could be difficult to sort out but at present I'm
stuck with uploading the RSS on my webpage. I'm trying to use PHP to
remove the title, description, link etc and then display them. It
works fine if the .xml file is on my server but when I try to use the
xml file from say the link:
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_uk_edition/business/rss.xml

It doesn't work. I'm not sure why.  Just to make things clear I have
added my source code. Say if I use a file called data.xml (which is
simply a copy of a BBC RSS feed saved as XML in my server). The output
is promising, you can find it at:

http://www.anderstand.com/news/parser2.php

The source is attached <parser2.php>

But if I use the script at: (2 files copied and pasted from the website)
http://www.apptools.com/phptools/xml/rss.php

You can download it from:
http://www.apptools.com/phptools/downloads/rssreader.zip

It doesn't work. You can see the output at:
http://www.anderstand.com/news/parser.php

After enquiring a little I was told that maybe you should open socket
connection and then try reading the RSS:

So I did that file attached: <parser_try.php>

Output at:
http://www.anderstand.com/news/parser_try.php

Can someone tell me why its not working? Your help will really be appreciated.

Kind Regards
-Raj
<?xml-stylesheet title="XSL_formatting" type="text/xsl" href="/shared/bsp/xsl/rss/nolsol.xsl"?>
<rss version="2.0"><channel>
	<title>BBC News | Business | UK Edition</title>
	<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/default.stm</link>
	<description>Updated every minute of every day</description>
	<language>en-gb</language>
	<lastBuildDate>Sat, 23 Jul 05 12:27:46 GMT</lastBuildDate>
	<copyright>Copyright: (C) British Broadcasting Corporation, see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/help/rss/4498287.stm for terms and conditions of reuse</copyright>
	<docs>http://www.bbc.co.uk/syndication/</docs>
	<ttl>15</ttl>

		<image>
			<title>BBC News</title>
			<url>http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/bbc_news_120x60.gif</url>
			<link>http://news.bbc.co.uk</link>
		</image>

			<item>
        <title>Rover sold to Nanjing Automobile</title>
        <description>Chinese carmaker Nanjing Automotive buys the remaining assets of collapsed UK car company MG Rover.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4708739.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4708739.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Sat, 23 Jul 05 09:36:35 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>London losing house price crown</title>
        <description>The gap between house prices in London and the rest of the UK is at its lowest level in nearly eight years, Halifax bank says.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4707971.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4707971.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 23:03:08 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Vista opens on Microsoft Windows</title>
        <description>The world's largest software maker Microsoft says the next version of its much-delayed operating system will be known as Windows Vista.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4708177.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4708177.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 15:52:50 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Concern on protection insurance</title>
        <description>The regulator is so concerned about a controversial type of insurance it plans to carry out undercover research.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/programmes/inside_money/4704881.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/inside_money/4704881.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 11:10:45 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Beatties suitor abandons interest</title>
        <description>Department store chain House of Fraser looks set to snap up rival
Beatties after another contender abandons its interest.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4708885.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/4708885.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 17:42:17 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Slowdown hits UK growth</title>
        <description>The UK economy grew at its slowest rate  in more than a decade, squeezed by a slowdown in High Street sales.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706749.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706749.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 10:08:33 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>EU halts Chinese sweater imports</title>
        <description>The European Commission stops imports of sweaters made in China, after limits on imports are breached a month after a quota was agreed.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4707821.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4707821.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 14:17:32 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Kleenex maker sheds 6,000 jobs</title>
        <description>Kleenex tissues maker Kimberly-Clark is to axe 6,000 jobs and close or sell 20
plants in North America and Europe.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4708695.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4708695.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 16:35:02 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Union votes on Rolls-Royce strike</title>
        <description>Amicus ballots Rolls-Royce staff over possible strike action following an unofficial walkout to protest the sacking of a union official.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706169.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706169.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 14:10:58 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Coca-Cola still world's top brand</title>
        <description>Coca-Cola is the world's top brand for the fourth year in a row, as US firms continue to  dominate, a survey says.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706275.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706275.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 09:07:44 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>BBVA gives up on Italy bank bid</title>
        <description>Spain's BBVA gives up its attempt to buy Italy's Banca Nazionale del Lavoro after an Italian counter-bid emerges.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4707679.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4707679.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 13:15:54 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Google sees profits quadruple</title>
        <description>Strong growth in online search advertising boosts internet search giant Google.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4702841.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4702841.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Thu, 21 Jul 05 21:17:50 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Cable &amp; Wireless 'eyeing' Energis</title>
        <description>UK telecoms group Cable &amp; Wireless tells shareholders it is preparing a takeover bid for smaller rival Energis.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4707269.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4707269.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 11:41:53 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Computer surge boosts Microsoft</title>
        <description>Top software maker Microsoft sees fourth-quarter profits rise on the back of increasing sales of laptops and personal computers.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4704927.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4704927.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Thu, 21 Jul 05 21:00:30 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Morrisons completes store sales</title>
        <description>Supermarket chain Morrisons sells four stores, the final step in meeting regulatory requirements after its Safeway takeover.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706395.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706395.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 08:51:53 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Hopes and fears after revaluation</title>
        <description>China's currency retreats slightly as investors, businessmen, and finance ministers weigh up the significance of the shift to a more relaxed exchange rate.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706791.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706791.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 11:00:05 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Scandal-hit VW in Indian payout</title>
        <description>Germany's Volkswagen pays an Indian state 2 million euros in compensation for misdealings linked to the firm.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706777.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706777.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 11:22:45 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Credit card advice site launched</title>
        <description>The credit card industry launches its own website offering advice on card choice and avoiding excessive debt.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4705899.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4705899.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 00:45:32 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Maytag rejects higher  bid offer</title>
        <description>Hoover maker Maytag backs a takeover bid from private equity group Ripplewood, despite a higher offer from rival Whirlpool.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706465.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706465.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 09:20:22 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Delta sees losses narrow</title>
        <description>Delta Air Lines, the troubled US carrier which is fighting to stave off bankruptcy, reports narrower quarterly losses.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706159.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706159.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 07:11:21 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>40,000 meet splits deadline day</title>
        <description>Four-fifths of people who lost money in the split-capital investment trust scandal make the deadline for putting in a compensation claim.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4702607.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4702607.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Thu, 21 Jul 05 08:44:17 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Powergen raises its prices again</title>
        <description>Energy giant Powergen increases its prices, clocking up the fourth rise in gas prices and third in electricity prices since the start of 2004.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4702923.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4702923.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Thu, 21 Jul 05 10:27:05 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>'Euromortgage' plan for borrowers</title>
        <description>It should be easier for UK homebuyers to benefit from mortgages offered elsewhere in Europe, the European Commission says.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4699879.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4699879.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Wed, 20 Jul 05 11:57:31 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>India's Wipro sees profits soar</title>
        <description>Wipro, one of India's leading software exporters, reports a 31% rise in profit, below market expectations.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4706165.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4706165.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 07:02:16 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Nokia profit warning hits shares</title>
        <description>Mobile phone giant Nokia reports a rise in sales but margins weaken and its third-quarter forecast disappoints.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4702929.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4702929.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Thu, 21 Jul 05 14:22:28 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Shoppers drive brisk retail sales</title>
        <description>UK High Street sales grew at their fastest pace in 18 months in June, calling into question recent signs of slower spending.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4702763.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4702763.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Thu, 21 Jul 05 10:47:25 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Greenspan warns on rising rates</title>
        <description>Solid US growth means further rate rises are likely as long as wage costs, fuel and property prices remain contained, says Fed chief Alan Greenspan.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4701209.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4701209.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Wed, 20 Jul 05 16:21:40 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Chaos as SA airline staff strike</title>
        <description>International and domestic South African Airways flights are disrupted as staff strike over wages.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/africa/4707325.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4707325.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 11:46:25 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Drugs firm Pfizer to cut 110 jobs</title>
        <description>US drugs firm is to cut 110 jobs at its site in Sandwich, Kent, but says other jobs will be relocated to there.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/england/kent/4708205.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4708205.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 15:10:18 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>BBC guidelines for financial journalists</title>
        <description></description>
        <link>http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/advice/</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/editorialguidelines/advice/</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 01 Jul 05 14:38:13 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

			<item>
        <title>Markets shudder after new blasts</title>
        <description>The London market is back on track despite a brief fall in response to a series of incidents on the London transport system on Thursday.</description>
        <link>http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/business/4704125.stm</link>

		<guid isPermaLink="false">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4704125.stm</guid>
		<pubDate>Fri, 22 Jul 05 06:39:53 GMT</pubDate>

</item>

</channel>
</rss>