I think that your non-Flash rant is biased and uninformed.  Why is it
always Flash vs. HTML?  Flash can supplement HTML and vice versa.
They are good at different things.  The Medium is the Message.

> What gets me is that it doesn't degrade , at all . you don't have the
> plugin or even the latest version of the plugin you don't get the site .

That's what JavaScript detection is for.

>Ever tried navigating a flash site with speech reader , braille pad ,
>set-top-box browser , text mode only or mobile phone ?

This area admittedly has a few shortcomings, but Flash has support for
Section 508, plug-ins for set top boxes and mobile phones.  If you're
doing text heavy sites in Flash, you've got bigger problems.

Flash isn't for everything.  Obviously, Amazon, Yahoo, eBay will use
html.  But trying doing marketing heavy, or real eLearning material
with "standards".  You don't get audio.  You don't get video.  You
don't get designer friendly tools to animate and you don't get cross
browser scripting.

I wish there were standard tools to do what Flash does (Firefox gave
me hope, M$ squashed that hope with IE 7).  But I think that, just
like AJAX, "standards" will continue following in Flash's footsteps
and Macromedia will stay one step ahead of the dhtml (or whatever
acronym you're giving it today) world for a long time.  Big sites with
lots of content will continue to use html but the marketing dollars
will continue to gravitate to Flash.

Go ahead and have your fun with html (actually, javascript).  The
clients I work with want to use Flash AND html.