The reason you see a lot of airport related weather data is because many
of the Met Office's weather stations are based at airports - hence why
if you're watching a BBC News report on hot weather, they'll often be
reporting from Heathrow ;)  IIRC there's  about fifty odd weather
stations in the UK so each one covers a large area.

As I recall from some work I did around three years ago, what happens on
the BBC site is that the area each station serves is broken down into
around four different areas and weather forecasts created for those
different areas, interpreting the data supplied by the weather station

Useless but hopefully vaguely interesting information :)