On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 11:39 +0100, Ben Metcalfe wrote:
> > So here's a thought : Supposing each broadcast program is
> > subtitled - most
> > are, to meet disability guidelines for deaf viewers.  How
> > about publishing
> > the subtitle files as part of backstage, in W3C TT format
> > (maybe in the
> > final draft format until the complete spec is ratified).
> >
> > Then in the TV data feeds, publish a linkage to the subtitle
> > file.  So, not
> > actually embedded in the TV data feeds, but as a separate
> > dataset. Now we'd
> > have something similar to the google video and "Blinkx" text searches.
> >

> This is certainly an interest idea, and ties in with other projects we
> are looking at within the BBC.  I think there are issues with the way
> the data is stored that might make this tricky to sort out, but I will
> certainly look into it.
If there aren't permissioning problems, or the permissioning problems
can be worked around by a statement ("you must only store this data on
servers in the UK, and cannot give this data to people outside the UK",
for example), simply giving permission without giving data would be
useful -- the data can be culled from the broadcast programme easily
enough.  (Of course, having it on the web would be more useful -- that
way it can be searched before the programme first airs.)

        -=- James Mastros