I wrote up some thoughts. Any corrections, additions and comments are welcome.
   http://blog.dave.org.uk/archives/000840.html

TiVo is actually great fun in the UK at the moment (if your a techie).

TiVo are still producing the EPG data it's just that you can't buy the boxes any more. TiVo are also still adding quite a lot of data to the standard EPG data that comes from the channel which links together shows, episodes, repeats, directors, actors, writers etc. etc. to allow you to record any combination of these things. Saying that, I am starting to see the public feeds from channels having this sort of data slowly added. TiVo HQ used to do all this manually.

There is a very large hacker community for the UK TiVo. After buying mine off e-bay I have replaced the 40GB HD with a 300GB one and added an after market network card. People have now written web interfaces for it (which means that I can now control my TiVo from anywhere in the world) as well as WAP interfaces, e-mail reminders and of course being able to rip the recordings off or watch them streamed over the Internet.

Dan (currently stuck in the USA and living off TiVo)  :-)