Tom,

Perhaps the 'unit' is the key. We're moving away from the physical
unit to pure data. I remember when CD's came out that there were some
people who felt a little short-changed, in terms of the difference in
'commodity' between a 12" vinyl LP and the smaller CD. Nowadays people
are happy to download data and not bother with any tangible item. At
the moment we still require a file, to load on to an iPod or burn a CD
but will this necessarily be the case in the future? What if high
speed wireless connections were ubiquitous? Would there be any need to
own the file if you could just stream it from a server* to whatever
device - personal stereo, hifi, car stereo - that you want to hear it
from?

Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, record companies will have
morphed into musical content providers and we will subscribe to
different channels (be they channels for individual artists, groups of
similar artists or a particular genre of music).  On preview: Yes,
like a TV license - we pay a fixed rate irrespective of how much
content we actually consume.

I think it would be great if there was a meritocracy whereby artists
were paid in proportion to their popularity but I don't suppose record
companies would be too happy to see the link between artist and
audience become so transparent!

Al

*Tangential side note: Given that the volume of data being stored is
climbing, and that this data has to sit on a server somewhere
consuming precious energy, perhaps in the future there will be a tax
on data and it will be essential to share files from a single source
rather than wastefully having duplicate files in a number of different
places.