Pete -

.ra are real player media files, that is - they contain the actual streaming audio data. .ram is a playlist text format, which can have one or multiple lines, on each line is the URL to an audio or video stream

[In quicktime, you have an almost equivalent .qtl format, though that's actually a tiny XML file]

Linking to .ram is preferred, because the real player browser plugin registers that as one of its own handlers - the browser hands off the .ram file to real player, guaranteeing that real player and not some other browser plugin will play the file. In addition, clicking on a .ram (or .qtl) link will launch the standalone player rather than trying to play the content in some plugin directly in the browser.

This is an important distinction, because media players can register multiple audio and video types, and may conflict. For example you could use a .ram playlist containing links to a bunch of MP3 files, which could equally be played by media player, quicktime or real player. That's not a great example but you get the idea.

You can apply the same concept to MP4 or 3GPP content, where certain features of the streamed content might be preferable to play in one or other known player, rather than 'whatever's defaultly registered currently' on the users computer.

Where it becomes more important is if you want to do certain things with a stream - real player and quicktime both support SMIL containers for specifying how a stream should be laid out on screen in the player - however their implementations of SMIL are slightly modified from the standard, so you might want to target real player by linking to a .ram file, and quicktime by linking to a .qtl file type, each of which references a SMIL file containing player-specific features (and possibly content)

The real player SMIL file might reference a real audio stream and a realtext subtitle file - the quicktime link could reference an MP3 audio and qttext subtitles.

HTH
Cheers - Neil