Title: The Time When - new feeds!
Hi everyone,

Thanks to Matt Hurst among others for commenting on the lack of metadata in thetimewhen.co.uk's RSS feed [1]. We needed a push.

Well we've got it now! Several types of metadata were added to the feeds yesterday.

We have added user tags as <dc:subject> elements, location tags as <dcterms:spatial> elements, and the actual date of the entry as <dcterms:temporal>.

The format of the tags is a little strange to the unititiated -- particularly the <dcterms:temporal> one, which conforms to the latest version of the dcterms RSS 1.0 module spec ([2]) by saying

    <dcterms:temporal>start=1997-07-01; end=1997-07-01; scheme=W3C-DTF;</dcterms:temporal>

Sorry but you'll have to parse the date out of that. We're not totally wedded to that format, and there is much debate in the RSS 1.0 / RDF community as to which format is preferred. Even Tim himself weighed in to the discussion [3]! We'll let you know via Backstage if we change the format in the future.

dc:date will continue to represent the date that the entry was created, in keeping with every other use of RSS. The Dublin Core standard says that dcterms:temporal [4] is the right place to store the date that the content is *about*.

Enjoy! Now let's see some SIMILE Timeline [5] implementations :-)

Please let us know what other kinds of feeds you would like to see on thetimewhen.co.uk, it's still only a trial and not a lot of work is being done on it, but if you can convince us that you would build some beautiful things if only you had the right data, I might be able to get something onto the work slate...

Happy hacking,

Brendan.

[1] http://www.thetimewhen.co.uk/rss/
[2] http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/dcterms/#temporal