"Paul Makepeace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 11/1/06, Nic James Ferrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Standing on the fringes and contributing a little from time to time I
>> can say that there is not a code sharing atmosphere here. I wonder if
>> that is due to the tone set by BBC which is about controlling media
>> rather than opening it.
>
> Interesting point. We are in a position to lead by example. Certainly,
> by not releasing our code we're hardly in a position to criticise the
> Beeb on this point.

To be clear, I was not criticising the backstage team
particularly... by BBC I mean the whole organization. I think it *is*
a problem that a public organization still regards the things it makes
with public money as being somehow, not public property.

Clearly, that constrains the backstage team and contributors. It just
sends the wrong message.

But the BBC's attitude must also be seen in the light of the bigger
climate of fear in media companies (holywood, nashville, etc...) about
their disappearing business models.

So, I'm not sure that there's _much_ more that I could ask of the
backstage team except to try and share code by default. Even posting
techniques in mailing list messages is better than nothing.

Alan Perlis talked about code as the best way of describing what a
computer program does. He was right - it is our chief communication
medium.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs