Oh, dear, that makes me sound like a tit, that blogpost :-)

I think there's some *really* interesting stuff going on in SL at the
moment (Mario, Kosso, hello!) - but there's a lot of hype around the
platform, too; a lot of big companies are going a bit mental about it. I
heard someone say the other day that it's because they missed out on the
web, web2.0, podcasting, etc, they're all piling in on this
microtrend...

What makes it interesting, though, is the mashup stuff; being able to
pipe stuff in and out of these spaces easily lets the web act as a kind
of connective tissue between them; or a medium (in the petri dish
sense). Eg I wonder if someone could create a Warcraft UI addon that
showed presence data for Second Life - so you could keep your eye on two
existences at once, and show your 'virtual location' in your IM client,
for instance? And what are the implications for privacy there?

If you're interested in this area, it might be worth having a look at
some of the other possible platforms -

metaverse
http://metaverse.sourceforge.net/
Multiverse
http://www.multiverse.net/
Or Croquet
http://www.opencroquet.org/
Iamnotacoder, these may be rubbish.

I also heartily recommend the #9 podcast from here: the Austin Game
Conference round table talk - it's a good debate about where these
spaces might go in the long run.
http://feeds.feedburner.com/metaversesessions

*well, I am a tit occasionally, but in quite a nice affable way.