[I sent this yesterday, but not from the address subscribed to the list :( ]

On 17/11/06, Dave Cross  wrote:

Quoting Peter Bowyer
> On 16/11/06, Dave Cross wrote:
>> <<SNIP>>
>>

>> Or, failing that, what other tools do people use to convert postcodes
>> lat/long? It seems to me that the Google Maps GeoCoder object doesn't
>> understand UK postcodes.
>
> www.nearby.org.uk does brazillions of coordinate conversions and has
> REST and SOAP APIs at http://www.nearby.org.uk/api/convert-help.php

Oooh. That looks very useful. Thanks.

Who needs the BBC :)

The problem is that I (as in nearby.org.uk ) am unable to offer full
resolution postcodes, only offering sector postcodes, which aren't very
accurate.

This is unfortuantly due to Postcodes being under Crown Copyright
(oversimplified) and Commercially Licenced, in the current environment its
unlikely Google, the BBC or otherwise will be able to offer a 'free'
service*. However I believe the Royal Mail are being forced to review the
licensing situation, IIRC by 2009, so there might be light at the end of the
tunnel...

* except maybe under strict 'non-commercial' use similar to the Met-Office
feeds.

Somehow MS-Virtual Earth are able to offer Postcodes - but within their
mapping product only, not a general Geocoder.

--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -