________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of vijay chopra
Sent: 19 January 2007 13:36
To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
Subject: Re: [backstage] crappy "have your say" forum

I didn't mean to try and drag you into the car crash that was\is 6-0-6
(I already said that this was the wrong place to discuss it), I was just
wondering if the messageboard software would be FLOSSed, so it's
development was more like that slashcode. I'm a also regular reader of
/., and they recently had a trial of the threading in "discussion 2.02",
indeed, it's ongoing. The firehose also looks interesting:
http://slashdot.org/firehose.pl Whereas the BBC has just imposed
developments from on high, and us users never get to look at the beta
stuff to suggest improvements and developments.Sorry to go back to
6-0-6, but I was a so called tester for the new system, I had no way to
communicate with the devs of the new system, just a layer of management
who mostly ignored what I said anyway.

Given that a recent EU study
(http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/17/0113235 )  has
shown the  benifits of FLOSS, why can't the BBC monolith move to an open
development system? Surely the BBC should lead the way in opening up
it's internal proprietary junk, after all as a licence fee payer I've
already paid for it, and not only am I willing to test it, I'm willing
to submit bugs via an open bug tracking system a la bugzilla, and maybe
even develop for it. What with the new licence fee settlement, it's a
cheaper and better way to get things done. Personally the engine that's
used in sports\celeb daq is something else I'd like to use.