(snip)

> > The second is the withdrawal of the BBC and ITV (and soon
> C4 and Five)
> > from using BSkyB's encryption service on satellite, because the EU
> > "Television Without Frontiers" directive allows them not to.
>
> This is related to territorial rights granted by those that
> hold the copyright; again, I don't quite follow how it's
> relevant in allowing UK users to copy, in full, copyrighted material.

The point was a simple one: it illustrates that the BBC has been 100% WRONG
before about this kind of issue and the BBC should consider what is and what
is not legal.

The BBC wasted an awful lot of licence fee payers money on those damn Solus
cards and the quite unnecessary encryption system.  Therefore I simply
propose that the BBC considers - especially in light of the licence fee
settlement being down two billion quid, that there may be an existing legal
framework that would cost it no money whatsoever - again.

> Copyright in most television and radio programmes are not, in
> actual fact, wholly owned by the broadcaster. From music
> rights to other areas, copyright rests in a whole set of
> bodies which isn't easily entangled. In most cases, the
> broadcaster has negotiated limited rights in a limited
> time-frame and a limited territory to exploit copyright
> material: for which wholesale and free copying via BitTorrent
> without DRM is wholly unrealistic.

But, as I pointed out there are exclusions from copyright which protect the
rights of consumers and viewers.  The whole point of my argument is that if
a network of domestic devices that exchange private, domestic recordings
with each other in the UK was legal, then any points about the problematic
and complex issues of rights and DRM simply won't apply.

I agree that it would be unrealistic if the recording or exchange service
was provided by a company, organisation or charity.  But it would be fine
for such to run trackers and searches of the torrents, IMHO.

> I admire your obvious enthusiasm, mind.

I'm always happy to save Auntie a billion quid.