Hmn, well, the BFI is... Is it government funded? I'm not sure (checks site)

"Total income remained consistent at £30.9m. Grant-in-Aid income from the UK
Film Council, at
£14.5m, was unchanged from 2003, except that £1.33m of the 2005 grant was
paid-over ahead of
schedule in 2004 and is shown within deferred income. Commercial and
sponsorship income
increased from £11.6m to £13.1m. Other grants and lottery awards received in
the year decreased
from £2.1m to £1.6m, the difference largely being attributable to specific
one-off grants from the
late J Paul Getty, the New Opportunities Fund and TV Grants in 2002/03. In
2003/04 £0.7m was
received to fund recording of TV programmes for the year, and the bfi received
a £1.3m grant
from the Heritage Lottery Fund for the continuation of the restoration project
at the Archive."

So - it's a charity half funded by the film council, which is (I think) funded
by the DCMS. Might be a similar case to the OS? Perhaps it should be added to
the Free our Data list :)

http://www.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/ftvdb/about.html They're actively asking for
feedback about how to improve their database...

(Don't be too mean to them, they're a nice bunch. I used to use their library
back in the day.)