I agree this is perhaps the main factor against such a proposal. However, the main targets for sales are still Europe and the US for much of the content produced in those markets. As such, distribution systems are likely (rightly or wrongly) to be established for these areas first. Much of my email mentioned how video may be funded almost solely by advertising in any case. As it would be possible to try and price adverts per download, a token price of $0.10 or something worldwide should not be a barrier to acquiring the programmes for all but the very poorest areas (which are unlikely to have the bandwidth requirements for online distribution anyway, at least at any scale). The advertising would cover the majority of the production costs, with much of the distribution costs minimised by using p2p to obtain bandwidth from the population at large... the more popular a programme, the more likely it is to reduce bandwidth costs through sharing in this way.

I realise the asian markets in particular are beginning to become larger consumers of western programmes, and the target audiences are huge. However, again, much/most of the cost should be obtainable through advertising, which should make the actual cost of obtaining the show negligible.

I guess a system would need to be set up that would be kind of adsense-ish for online television distribution, perhaps so advertising can be targeted (maybe on the fly?) at the consumer in the market that is downloading the programme. As such, advertising could be bought per area and paid per download in that area.

Of course, it all depends on how future shows end up being paid for, I just feel that it could be economical to fund a lot of programmes in this way given the advertising market potential available on a worldwide scale, without the need for variable (or high) pricing depending on the GDP/capita of the areas. As such, individual sites per market would not be required, and a single site could scale with on the fly advertising to cope with any new area on the same system.