On 09/02/07, Nic James Ferrier wrote:

> "Tim Thornton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I believe it to be orthogonal to DRM. In the trusted computing
space,
> > your secrets are secret, as are mine. I can trust your computer not
> > reveal my secrets to you, and you can trust that I can't get at
> > yours.
>
> But I see this as a bad thing:
>
> If you leave your secrets on my computer I want to be able to read
> them. It's my computer. Not yours.

Ok. But in that case I won't send them to you. If you invite my secrets
to be on your machine, I want to know that they're secret.

> If you were a criminal who used my computer I want to know what you
> left on it.

I'm sure.

> > But the computer isn't constrained. There's an environment within it
> > that is.
>
> I don't see the subtelty of this point at all. A computer with a so
> called trusted element *is* constrained. If the facility is there it
> will be used - it is surely nonsense to suggest that the trusted
> component is there but won't be used?

No, in the PC space it's only constrained if you want it to be. Most PCs
sold today have a TPM, which is rarely used (I've only met one person so
far who uses their TPM, and I work in the industry). You need to enable
it. You can use it to constrain your PC if you want (eg by enforcing a
secure boot process), but it is only the basis of trust on your
platform. If you don't want other people to use it, you don't need to
let them.

> > You are right that the computer will need a "root of trust"
> > which will be provided by a corporation, but when that corporation
is
> > founded on selling trust (think Verisign, Entrust, Thwate or
whoever)
> > the incentive to not abuse it is massive.
>
> Not a good example. All the SSL companies I know have had problems
> with their procedures and sometimes abused their positions.

I've not come across any such abuse, but ok.

> Anyway, this is the root of the argument. Whether my PC is wholly mine
> or whether there should be a feature within it that allows you to come
> and put stuff on there that I can't tamper with (and I can do the same
> to your computer of course).

No - your PC /is/ wholly yours. There's a feature that allows you to
invite me to put stuff on I can't tamper with. But I can't randomly take
control of your computer.

> A whole bunch of us don't like this. We do understand it. But we don't
> like it.

A whole bunch of people don't like this because RMS and Ross Anderson
told them it was bad, but have no understanding of what the technology
actually is. I'm sure you do understand it, but let's have the debate so
that those who only hear the hype can make an informed decision.

> So Nya.

}:p

medium.  Thank you.