Exactly..... trust normally only works if both sides agree.
Earlier I read that the BBC are content to follow the music industry's example with DRM.... if anyone reads any of the debates and the opinions of the record execs, it is very clear that they are promoting a protection racket. I don't see many of the artists arguing for DRM, simply because they have no real choice if they are contracted to the industry... if they are not, they are normally promoting their own music, on myspace or even youtube. Since the early 90's I have watched the industry destroy itself, cutting budgets, wasting money on lawsuits etc.... if that is the future of the BBC, then I wish you all luck. Whatever happened to the safest dual private key system?..... yes, where I give you a key physically and you give me a key physically.... then our private keys are decoders of public keys..... from memory, the first time that was debated in Parliament, the UK government used the "fear" of terrorism to make it illegal, mid 90's I think, following the Septics again. :-) If that hadn't happened, then the music companies could have used CD as a carrier for those keys... allowing the customer to access data through the net and computers, instead of locking everyone out. Everyone would have been too secure in the eyes of the government. Let us be real, the business has sold you the Beatles on record, cassette and CD..... if they can make more money selling you the same content on DRM'd data file, then they will. As the technology changes they will sell the same property again and again. Sadly, they, as well as I believe now the BBC, will make more effort to protect that, call it what you like, the end result is already happening..... the old physical model of distribution of music is absolutely not compatible with this technology. The artists will eventually embrace the new model, especially as most groups are young kids who want everyone to hear their music. In the new model there is very little need for a middle man between the artist and audience. I can assure you that the user/administrator debate took place when Mac OS-X arrived, years ago, and the customers were very clear that there was no room for free outside access to the motherboard or hard- drive. As a result, I have a network filter, and am saddened by how much that is already abused. Still, at least I try to limit it.
Regards
RichE