On 09/02/07, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > its deemed 'good enough' for the general public (the vast, vast
> > majority of which just want to watch Eastenders/Dragons
> > Den/whatever the next day).
>
> The vast, vast majority of the general public have no problems
> using the regular BBC website. But there is an "accessible" version.
> Why?

It's a good argument - however using your logic then we
shouldn't be providing bbc.co.uk if we can't cater for 100% of the
audience.

No, I don't think what I said extends like that.

The BBC provides an accessible version because doing what is deemed
'good enough' for the vast vast majority is not enough.

Maybe the vast vast majority won't want to keep the files around more
than a few days. Maybe not.

But it is inherently evil to make that decision for us, and restrict
us from keeping copies of files for ourselves, if we want to. It is
also evil to restrict us from redistributing those files.

It seems that Windows Media DRM is deemed unsuitable for iPlayer by
the board of trustees because it can only be used by 75% of the
audience, and therefore they will fund a homebrew cross platform DRM
system that will work with OS X and GNU/Linux users.

This has totally missed the point that DRM is evil, by conflating evil
with inaccessible.

Truth is, bbc.co.uk doesn't cater for 100% of the audience -
compromises are made to make the user experience
better for the majority.

We're talking about something more fundemental than UX design, I think :-)

For example, the XHTML homepage launch the other day - I
wasn't involved (someone around here will have been and
will chime in), but I bet when it changed some users got a
page without CSS, or some other problem. I also bet these
users complained as bitterly as you are about DRM. However,
we all recognise the benefits of XHTML move right?

Crummy migrations happen, but that they and DRM might be subject to
criticism is all they have in common.

So, back to DRM and the "all or nothing" problem - compromises
have to be made ... and some people will complain.

But are those complaints valid? Or will they just be ignored?

/accessiblity - looks like someone made a mistake. It happens.
To equate this to "Auntie doesn't care for minorities" is a little silly.

Yes, it was a facetious comment for which I apologies; I guess I
forgot for a moment I was dealing with the BBC, and what I was seeing
was a temporary glitch and not that the accessible version had just
been forgotten about and fallen apart, as is often the case...

--
Regards,
Dave