On 13/02/07, Kim Plowright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My understanding is that

Thanks for taking the time to explain :-)

- the writer writes the script, which is subject to the usual literary
copyright rules
- the contract writers are employed under is some kind of a
license-to-perform-and-broadcast rather than a complete
buyout of everything, to give them long term creative control
and a possible long term revenue stream from their creations,
and to avoid paying excessive ammounts of BBC license fee
money for 'all rights' buyout.

Writers hold copyright for script, BBC gets license for certain uses
as part of employment contract. Sure.

- effectively, the writer still owns the 'characters'
as they're considered to be 'a substantial part' of the work;
copyright applies to parts of works as well as the whole thing.

I understand how copyright applies to parts, not just the whole.

To say "owns" implies property, but physical property rights can not
be intuitively applied to creative works. So the writer cannot 'own'
the charachter, but holds the copyright for any strings of words
describing or transcribing the charachter and what they do/say.

I'm not sure how this leaps into "copyright of the charachter", as
that is just a concept, and patents cover concepts, not copyrights. I
understand the charachter's name can be trademarked.

But if I want to make a story about a explorer-archeologist with a
bullwhip and a brown hat whose Dad is into the Holy Grail, I'm at
liberty to do that, as long as I don't call him Doctor Jones. Right?

- the people who designed the daleks were employed by
the bbc, and their contracts of employment have a specific
clause assigning copyright in all work done for the bbc to the
bbc, even though this is covered in copyright law anyway.*
- the visual designs are covered by the artitic and  designs
provision, plus the instantiation from plans in copyright law

I'm unfamiliar with these provisions, but I see they only last for 25
years anyway.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_4.htm#mdiv52

But I am not a lawyer. You'd need to check with a rights
professional to verify my understanding.

Sure I understand. Haven't been into nntp://uk.legal for a while :-)

*BBC contracts still contain this clause, irrc. This email is
BBC copyright, as it's being written in the course of my
work, using BBC tools.

I wish I was being paid to debate this stuff, haha :-D

--
Regards,
Dave