On 09/02/07, Tom Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

if you want the BBC to move on from being a broadcaster (which it
looks to me like you do!), then engage in the wider political debate
about media policy.

I'm sorry, not being an industry insider nor experienced politically,
I don't really know what wider political debate about media policy is,
or how to engage it, other than posting to lists like this to learn
things for myself, and submitting my views to the Trust questionaire
and such.

> The BBC is meant to do what 'the industry' doesn't, though. Otherwise,
> what's the point?

Not true. The BBC is not there to do whatever the industry doesn't do.
Never has been.

Okay, my bad.

What's the point, then? Well, the point of the BBC is that, by
informing, educating and entertaining everyone in the UK, the
population of the UK gains both individually and collectively to an
extent greater than the BBC's negative market impact

This is a nice argument against BBC DRM, I think :-D

--
Regards,
Dave