Dave,

The fact you deliberately linked to the print version of Vanity Fair - thus
removing the chance of the publishers to earn money from your visit from
advertising, and/or effectively market the other content on their website,
is very telling.

I am deeply sorry that you don't want people to earn money from creative
work; and disappointed that you object to the idea that content-creators
need to control the distribution of their content. You've made your point
very clearly on this list a number of times. It's now turning from
charmingly naive discussion to something rather more irritating.

Perhaps, for the sake of all our sanity, I could leave it with this
real-world observation, that I hope even you agree with.

- Some content-creators will want to have 'Content Restriction And
Protection' on their content.
- Some content-creators will choose not to have 'crap' in their content.
- It's the content-creators choice to have crap in their content or not.

- Some consumers won't want content with crap in it.
- But some consumers won't care whether the content has crap in it or not.
- Ultimately, the consumer will choose whether they want crap or no crap.

- Content-creators may gain more benefit from controlling the use of their
crappy content.
- But content-creators may gain more benefit from leaving the crap out of
their content.
- The gamble for the content-creator is whether to put the crap in or leave
the crap out.

- Content-creators need to make the right individual choice.
- Consumers need to make the right individual choice.
- We both need to understand and respect each other's right to choose.

--
http://james.cridland.net/