> -----Original Message-----
> From: Deirdre Harvey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Sent: 28 February 2007 12:32
> To: backstage@lists.bbc.co.uk
> Subject: RE: [backstage] Percentage of License fee going towards DRM?

If there's a demand for that kind of service,
> is there a way you could implement it that doesn't compromise
> the public at the expense of the people with the temporary
> monopoly rights?

... And I just realised I didn't answer your final question.

In all honesty, I can't think of a workable solution right now, it's a tough
one to solve (captain obvious to the rescue!) Give me a while to come up
with something... Must add though, when I wanted to timeshift radio in the
past (when I was but a nipper), I always found a C90 worked quite well - at
least for 2 or 3 months until I somehow managed to completely destroy them.

I suppose the question I should ask you back is, IS there a demand for that
specific kind of service? We can theorise on different ways to implement a
time-limited, managed platform for content distribution and consumption, but
the existing systems such as Listen Again work pretty well imo, and pop
music is so repeated on network radio there's no real need to offer
timeshifted playback of those kind of shows, you'd be creating supply where
there is no demand.

Or is there demand? Have I completely misinterpreted what you're saying?
Feel free to correct / educate / dissect what I've said.