Of course it is about laissez-faire economics: business is, as business
always has been.

<< But if he somehow managed to find an investor to stump up the money for
just such a boat, with the idea that he would make a profit by selling
jaunts on the ship, would you and your mates refuse to pay for a
pleasure ride but steal the ship during the night and offer free rides
to everyone in your town so that he had no way of making back his money?>>

I am not advocating using things for nothing. I'm saying DRM and copyright
protection are meaningless, expensive, wasteful, fanciful, and unintelligent
ways of trying to enforce payment/control usage.

<<Nobody's asking you to pay for music or films you don't watch or listen
to.>>

Which, again, is exactly the point I'm making. People here are saying there
has to be a model to protect producers so they can afford to make what they
want to make. My point is that people will pay for things if the producers
produce worthwhile and desirable products.

Though, as an aside, to be true to the truth, the licence fee does ask
people in the UK to pay for content they don't watch or listen to. But
that's another point entirely.