On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:26:59 +0100, "Martin Belam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> <devils advocate>

<reality check>

> Wow, what an excellent use of council tax payers money.

Yes,delivering services to their whole userbase.

> I mean, firstly nobody else has developed any kind of streaming video
> system, so I'm glad they spent 18 months building it themselves.

If the market hasn't seen fit to deliver a cross platform solution, maybe they
had to.
Or maybe they had NotInventedHere syndrome :P

> And the potential user base is, what, the >1% of people in the UK with
> computers that run Linux, provided they also live in Waverley, and
> want to stream video of their local council meetings.

No, that assumes this service *excludes* the people who run the dominant OS and
media player. It doesn't. What it does is include them, and people who happen
not to.

So the potential user base is everyone in that area who wants to stream video
of their council meetings

Following your argument to its logical extreme would mean *not* providing acess
to council meetings for people with physical movement problems, or who need
council information in a non English form - because these, after all, don't
make up the majority

George

PS hi martin