On 06/03/07, Jason Cartwright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You are suggesting that Adobe may knowingly put code in their apps to
send spam? Or are you suggesting that Adobe may knowingly put code in
their apps to let other people do that? Both are ridiculous.

Why is that ridiculous?

I also do not know how good the Adobe QA is. Maybe one renegade coder
could include dangerous code for his own profit. Is it unheard of for
someone to abuse their position in a company?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Maybe Flash has had some flaws.  Ditto OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Ubuntu etc.

I think you have miss understood me.

I am not talking about accidental coding mistakes. I am talking about
the possibility of code being included to do bad things intentionally.
I can look through the source code of my OS (and I have read bits of
the Linux kernel by the way), and so can others.

If you are concerned, maybe you should ask Real?

Tiny problem there, if I am suspecting Real's code what good is asking them?

I ask the BBC because you are requiring me to use Real Player to
access your service.

I wouldn't ask my council which
publishes content in PDF format, to re-assure me that Adobe Acrobat is
safe on my machine.  I'd ask Adobe.

What's that got to do with anything? I use evince to read PDFs, not
Adobe Acrobat Reader.

PDF is an open standard, I don't need to use Acrobat. All I ask is
that the BBC use an open standard, just as your council is doing by
using PDF.

If the BBC used an open standard I too would not be asking you these questions.
So why don't you follow your councils lead and use an open standard?

The BBC website uses a few different technologies but yes, Solaris is
involved and they run Apache 2.  There's also some Windows servers
floating around (obviously as we stream content in the WMV format)

Ah Solaris. Are you running the Sparcs chipset? Just curious. I heard
they do context switching faster than the intel chips.

Would it not be cheaper and easier to scrap WMV and switch to an open
standard as then you could get rid of the Windows servers and run your
servers with a consistent operating system?

Can someone from the BBC actually provide a good answer to why the BBC
refuses to use an Open Standard for their Audio Streaming and for the
active parts of the website?

I do sympathise with the BBC's use of Flash, there are some occasions
where the other technologies just don't cut it. But where HTML/CSS and
other standards are capable of delivering the same user experience why
can they not be used?

Maybe there should be a standard for something similar to flash that
everyone could use. As far as I know there isn't. Correct me if I am
wrong please.
Maybe the BBC could create one? Or try to encourage someone else to create one.

Basically my main point is:
why won't the BBC use openly specified formats where they provide an
adequate solution?

I don't think anyone has answered that. You seem more concerned with
telling me why I should ignore security or my morals and install real
player, and seems the BBC is meant to be neutral that's worrying. I
get the fact you like real player, you may think its excellent
software, I am not trying to stop you listening to things with real
player. I am just asking that I be allowed to listen with software
that I trust and I like using, why is that so much to ask?

It's nice to actually talk to some people from the BBC. It shows you
guys will actually engage in conversation with your audience. Isn't
the email great?

Thanks

Andy

P.S.
Richard Lockwood wrote:
You just have it in your mind that there's a conspiracy against AndyOS
or whatever you run your computer on.  You probably believe in the
extra assassins on the grassy knoll, the Loch Ness Monster, and that
the Royal Family are lizards.

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

It's been answered several times - it's not mandatory.

Oh I must have missed something. I would appreciate the link to where
I can listen to the listen again thing in an openly specified format,
thanks. I must have just misunderstood and it was there all along.

And a quick link to why an open format can not be used would be good,
if as you claim it has been answered. unless it hasn't been answered,
I suspect it is not.