[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Most of what the media produces isn’t creative: it is formulaic and componentised in much the same way as any factory that assembles work on a production line. Of course, media production needs to be financed, but it isn’t a scarce resource and it does warrant disproportionate returns.

I can only talk for my time in production roles being anything BUT formulaic or 'componentised' I'd be intersted in knowing which orgaisations you've experienced that take such a view.

I need to pick you up on one point, that is original (read 'creative') content IS a scarce resource and that's exactly the point. I don't see many people here or elsewhere creating and publsihing weather data or local news reports or giving over by over commentary of cricket matches or detailed analysis of Football matches.

With a notably small exception it's media owners who provide commentary from the front line of so many wars or the insights of political machinations of Washington/London/Brussells et al. Who has the time, money or inclicnation to create TV listsings?

I see lots of people making use of this rich source of data, making mash-ups and utilising this data but virtually nobody produces genuinely unique content of this ilk (RSS, XML Feeds etc... the sort of stuff we're discussing on this list) other than the larger media owners.

If the media was truly creative, it wouldn’t struggle with how to make money from its work. It is a confusion on the part of the media folk to think that their work is somehow creative and unique.

Please can you elaborate on this. It's such a sweeping indictment of the entire media landscape that I really am interstested in hearing you support this with something more than what I'm sorry to say comes across as anti-established-media bias. I know on the whole we're a sitting duck for those who know better but I can't see where you manage to actually support your argument.

Seán